Creating and managing variants for products in Shopify allows you to offer different options and variations for your products, such as different sizes, colors, or materials. Variants are essentially different versions of the same product that customers can choose from.
To create and manage variants in Shopify, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel.
- Go to the Products section and select the product for which you want to create variants or create a new product.
- In the product editing page, scroll down to the Variants section.
- Click on 'Add variant' or 'Edit options' to begin creating variants.
- Specify the different options for your variants, such as size or color, by selecting the appropriate options from the drop-down menus or creating your own custom options.
- For each variant, enter a unique SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) if applicable.
- Set the prices for each variant by entering the respective prices in the specified fields or using the 'Add fixed price' button if the prices differ.
- You can also add images for each variant, representing different options or variations of the product.
- If you want to track inventory for each variant, enable the 'Track inventory' option and enter the available quantity for each variant.
- Customize any other variant-specific settings, such as weight, barcode, or tax codes, if necessary.
- Save your changes.
To manage variants, you can do the following:
- Edit variants: You can edit options, prices, quantities, and other details for existing variants by going back to the product editing page and making the necessary changes in the Variants section.
- Add or delete variants: You can add new variants by clicking on the 'Add variant' button and specifying the options, prices, and other details. Similarly, you can delete variants by selecting the variant and clicking on the 'Delete' button.
- Organize variants: You can rearrange the order of variants by dragging and dropping them within the Variants section.
- Disable or hide variants: If you have variants that are temporarily unavailable or you don't want to show to customers, you can disable them or hide them from your storefront. This can be done by checking the 'Disable' or 'Hide from sales channels' checkbox for each variant.
By effectively creating and managing variants in Shopify, you can provide your customers with a wider range of options to choose from, enhance their shopping experience, and increase your sales potential.
What is the difference between variants and collections in Shopify?
In Shopify, variants and collections are two distinct concepts, with different purposes and functionalities:
- Variants refer to different versions or options of a specific product. For example, if a t-shirt comes in multiple sizes and colors, each combination of size and color would be considered a variant.
- Variants are used to manage inventory, track sales, and display product options on the storefront.
- Each variant has its own unique SKU, price, weight, and inventory quantity.
- Customers can select their preferred variant from a dropdown menu on the product page.
- Collections, on the other hand, are groups or categories that you create to organize and group your products based on specific criteria.
- Collections make it easier for customers to find related products or browse through specific categories on your website.
- They can be manually curated or automatically generated based on tags, product type, vendor, etc.
- Collections can be displayed as links in the navigation menu, on the homepage, or as separate pages within your store.
In summary, variants are different versions of a single product, while collections are groups of products that are organized based on certain criteria to facilitate navigation and browsing for customers.
What is a variant image in Shopify?
A variant image in Shopify refers to different images associated with each variant of a product. A product variant is a specific variation of a product, such as different sizes, colors, or materials. Each variant can have its own unique image to show customers what the particular variation looks like. For example, a t-shirt product may have different variants with different colors, and each variant would have its own corresponding image showing the t-shirt in that specific color. Variant images help merchants showcase the options available to customers and provide a visual representation of each variant.
How to manage product variants in Shopify?
Managing product variants in Shopify involves creating and managing different variations of a product on your Shopify store. Here is a step-by-step guide on managing product variants in Shopify:
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel.
- From the Shopify admin dashboard, click on "Products" on the left-hand menu.
- Select the product you want to add variants to or click on "Add product" to create a new one.
- In the product editor screen, scroll down to the "Variants" section.
- Click on "Add variant" to add a new product variant.
- Enter the details for the variant such as SKU, price, barcode, and weight in the respective fields.
- If your product has different options like colors or sizes, click on "Add option" and enter the options and values.
- Configure the pricing for each variant by entering the specific price or price adjustments for each option.
- Specify the inventory policy, quantity, and SKU for each variant if applicable.
- You can also add images specific to each variant by scrolling down to the "Images" section and clicking on "Add image."
- Repeat steps 5 to 10 for each variant you want to add.
- Once you have added all the variants, click "Save" to update your product with the variants.
To edit or update existing variants, simply click on the variant you want to modify and make the desired changes. To delete a variant, click on the trash bin icon next to the variant.
By managing product variants effectively, you can provide your customers with different options and variations of your products, making it easier for them to find exactly what they are looking for.
What is the option to track inventory for product variants in Shopify?
The option to track inventory for product variants in Shopify is called "Track quantity." This feature allows you to manage inventory levels individually for each variant of a product. By enabling this option, you can track the stock of each unique variant, such as different sizes, colors, or styles, and prevent overselling or running out of stock.
How to edit existing variants in Shopify?
To edit existing variants in Shopify, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel.
- Click on the "Products" tab from the sidebar.
- Select the product containing the variants you want to edit.
- On the product page, scroll down to the "Variants" section.
- Find the variant you want to edit and click on it to expand its details.
- Here, you can make changes to the variant details such as variant title, SKU, price, weight, barcode, and inventory.
- After making the desired changes, click the "Save" button to apply the changes to that specific variant.
- Repeat the process for any other variants you wish to edit.
Note: If you want to edit multiple variants at once, you can use the bulk edit feature. To do this, select multiple variants by checking the boxes next to their titles, click the "Edit variants" button, and make the desired changes in the popup modal. Click "Save" once done.
Remember to review your changes before saving them to ensure accuracy.
How to create a discount for specific product variants in Shopify?
To create a discount for specific product variants in Shopify, you can follow these steps:
- Login to your Shopify admin panel.
- Navigate to the "Products" section.
- Select the product that contains the specific variants you want to create a discount for.
- Scroll down to the "Variants" section and click on the variant you want to apply the discount to.
- In the variant's editing page, scroll down to the "Pricing" section.
- Click on the "Edit" button next to the variant's price.
- In the "Price" field, enter the discounted price for that variant.
- Click on the "Compare at price" checkbox if you want to display the original price crossed out.
- Save the changes by clicking on the "Save" button.
Now, the specific variant you selected will have a discount applied, and its price will be updated accordingly. Keep in mind that this discount is specific to the variant and not applied to the entire product or other variants.