Creating and managing subdomains on a web hosting platform is a simple and straightforward process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Access your web hosting control panel: Log in to your web hosting account and open the control panel. This can usually be done by accessing the provided URL and entering your credentials.
- Locate the Domain section: Look for the Domain or Domains section within the control panel. This is where you'll find options related to managing your domains.
- Choose the Subdomain option: Once you are in the Domain section, you should see an option to create or manage subdomains. Click on this option to proceed.
- Create a new subdomain: To create a new subdomain, you will need to provide two pieces of information: the desired subdomain name and the main domain it will be associated with. For example, if the main domain is "example.com," you can create a subdomain called "blog" to make it "blog.example.com." Enter the subdomain name in the appropriate field.
- Define the document root (optional): Depending on your hosting provider, you may have the option to specify a separate folder where the files for the subdomain will be stored. This is called the document root. If you want the subdomain to have its own folder, enter the desired folder name. If you leave it blank, the subdomain will share the same document root as the main domain.
- Save the changes: After entering the necessary information, save the changes or create the subdomain. This action will create a DNS record for the subdomain, making it accessible on the internet.
- Repeat the process for additional subdomains: If you want to create more subdomains, follow the same steps, providing different names and associated domains as needed.
- Manage subdomains: Once you have created subdomains, you will usually have options to manage them. This may include editing the subdomain settings, such as changing the document root or deleting a subdomain that is no longer needed.
It's important to note that the specific steps and terminology may vary depending on your web hosting provider and the control panel they offer. However, the general concept of creating and managing subdomains remains the same across platforms.
How to point a subdomain to a specific folder on web hosting?
To point a subdomain to a specific folder on web hosting, follow these steps:
- Log in to your web hosting account.
- Navigate to the domain management or DNS management section.
- Look for an option to create or manage subdomains.
- Create a subdomain by entering the desired name and selecting the primary domain or website to associate it with.
- In the subdomain settings, locate the option to specify the subdomain's document root or folder.
- Enter the path or directory of the specific folder you want to point the subdomain to. For example, if you want the subdomain "blog.example.com" to point to a folder named "blog" within your web hosting account, enter "/blog" or "public_html/blog".
- Save the changes and wait for the DNS settings to propagate. This process may take some time, usually a few hours to up to 48 hours.
- Once the changes have propagated, the subdomain should be successfully pointing to the specific folder on your web hosting account.
It is important to note that the exact steps and options may vary depending on your web hosting provider and the control panel they offer.
How to remove a subdomain from web hosting?
To remove a subdomain from web hosting, follow these steps:
- Log in to your web hosting control panel or domain registrar account.
- Navigate to the section where you manage your domains or subdomains.
- Find the subdomain you want to remove and select it. There should be an option to manage or delete it.
- Click on the delete or remove button for the subdomain.
- Confirm the deletion when prompted. Be careful as this action cannot be undone and the subdomain's content will be permanently removed.
- Wait for the changes to propagate. It may take some time for the removal to be reflected across all DNS servers, usually within a few hours to a day.
Remember that deleting a subdomain will also remove any related files or content associated with it. It is advisable to back up any necessary data before proceeding.
What is the cost associated with creating subdomains on web hosting?
The cost associated with creating subdomains on web hosting can vary widely depending on the web hosting provider. Some web hosting providers may offer subdomains as part of their hosting package at no additional cost, while others may charge a nominal fee for each subdomain created. Additionally, the cost may also depend on the level of hosting plan you choose (e.g., shared hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated hosting), as higher-tier plans often include more features and options for subdomains. It is recommended to check with your specific web hosting provider to understand their pricing structure for subdomains.